Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Mom's Potato Salad - Rachel

Mom's Potato Salad


Most of the time when I think of potato salad, I think of Memorial Day. Memorial Day is not only a celebration of our veterans, but I think it's also a celebration of the first day of summer. School is usually out by now, or just about to end, the pools open, and most people have the day off of work. Celebration, therefore, takes the form of a picnic/barbeque and potato salad is a crucial part of the spread.

We never really had picnics growing up though. Mom hates eating outdoors because it's messy and there are bugs everywhere and there's always the risk of touching something green - like grass or shrubbery. Ick. She liked making potato salad though, so potato salad, growing up, was not so much a side at a picnic, as it was the main course for dinner every other week or so. As a kid, I dreaded those nights. There just seemed something inherently wrong with potato salad. I think it had something to do with the mayonnaise and the egg yolk. I liked the egg whites and the potatoes, but I always ate my way around the celery and tried to scrap off as much of the dressing as I could on the bits I wanted to eat.

Years later though, I find myself thinking about her potato salad with fondness. I've tried a lot of different potato salads since then and none of them have been as good as Mom's. Mom's potato salad is wonderfully simple with big chunks of potatoes and eggs, a simple dressing, and nice light seasonings. It's great for a hot summer day when you want something cool or for a winter evening when you want something hearty and yet still reminiscent of warmer times. I love it!

2 large potatoes
4 eggs
1 large stick celery, chopped
1 dill pickle, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp mustard
Salt, pepper, curry powder, and dill weed

Peel and cut potatos into chunks. Place potatoes in a pan with eggs and cover with water. Bring water to a boil and let boil for about 20 min. By this time, the potatoes should be cooked, but not too mushy, and the eggs should be hard-boiled. Take pan off the heat. Drain and rinse with cold water. Let potatoes and eggs cool.

Put potatoes in a bowl. Peel eggs and cut whole egg into chunks and add these to the bowl along with celery and dill pickle.

Mix in mayonnaise and mustard, then season with spices to taste.

*Note: This recipe makes a small batch of potato salad, probably enough for 2-3 people.

Variations:
I don't care what Mom says, mayonnaise is NOT better than Miracle Whip. I totally prefer using Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise when I make this recipe. I like the flavor it adds so much better. Maybe that was why I didn't like potato salad as a kid. Anyway, you can substitute Miracle Whip for mayonnaise if you like and I will think no less of you. Also, some people like adding chopped red onions and/or bacon to their potato salad. These are also a nice touch. Finally, when I was asking mom for the specifics on this recipe, she also suggested celery salt as a spice that could be added.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree on the Miracle Whip issue. MW is the best.

    ReplyDelete